Playing basketball is probably something you remember doing as a kid in the playground at school or at home in front of the garage. That rusty old hoop wouldn’t stay up and chipped away often, eventually giving up the ghost when it broken in half and could no longer be repaired.
Eventually, my dad was persuaded to buy a replacement that we could change the height on because we were short at the time. It lasted a good few years, and we got our dad to raise it higher as we grew, so it kept being more difficult to sink a hoop.
The adjustable basketball hoop that’s designed to be portable is useful because it is moveable, so it doesn’t have to stay outside in the rain. It can be moved over to the garage overnight and only moved back into the driveway when playing. With the in-ground systems, they require poured concrete to fit the pole into to provide greater rigidity and their parts are supposed to be weatherproof.
- 1 The Best 10 Adjustable & In-Ground Basketball Hoops :
- 1.1 Pro Dunk Platinum In-Ground Adjustable Basketball Hoop
- 1.2 Lifetime 71525 Height Adjustable In-Ground Basketball System
- 1.3 Pro Dunk Silver In-ground Adjustable Basketball Goal Hoop
- 1.4 Lifetime 1269 Pro Court Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System
- 1.5 Lifetime 1529 Courtside Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System
- 2 Best In ground basketball Hoop
- 3 Top 5 Inground Basketball Hoop Reviews
- 3.1 Pro Dunk Diamond: Ultimate Adjustable In-Ground Basketball Goal
- 3.2 Silverback 54” In-Ground Basketball System with Tempered Glass Backboard
- 3.3 Spalding NBA In-Ground Basketball System – 60″ Aluminum Trim Glass Backboard
- 3.4 Lifetime 71799 Height Adjustable In Ground Basketball System
- 3.5 Goalrilla GS54 Basketball Hoop
- 3.6 How to install in-ground basketball hoop?
The Best 10 Adjustable & In-Ground Basketball Hoops :
Pro Dunk Platinum In-Ground Adjustable Basketball Hoop
The Pro Dunk Platinum In-Ground Adjustable Outdoor Basketball Goal Hoopis the real deal. It sports a full 72-inch backboard that’s regulation size. It’s huge, so you’ll need a wide enough area to fit this in and leave plenty of space around it to play ball.
The backboard is made of tempered glass and is 0.5-inch thick. It’s see-through and strong enough to take some heavy hits from a ball thrown at a distance. When you’re wanting to practice on the same size board as they use in the NBA, then this one is it.
The pole is a single piece. The stand system benefits from four springs to provide robust support. The rim height is adjustable down to 5-feet, 6-inches (rises up to 10 feet) so it’s possible for a teenager to do it. The basketball hoop is assembled and attached to the backboard.
The stainless-steel construction provides greater rigidity, and the Rust Armor coating protects from the outdoor elements. There’s galvanized zinc included to provide greater metal protection too. The padding and strength of the materials ensure that they won’t let you down in the middle of a match.
When you need a regulation size glass backboard and have the space to accommodate it and still play a regular hoops game, then this is the product to get. It takes time and several people to fit and install it correctly. The components, especially the backboard, is heavy and cannot be installed working alone.
- 72-inch backboard that’s perfect NBA regulation size
- Tempered glass made 0.5-inch thick for greater durability
- Clear backboard for the ultimate basketball look
- Dual-canister stainless-steel pole that’s 1-inch thick
- Adjustable height from 5.5-feet to 10-feet
- Rust Armor package protecting steel pole using zinc coating
- Padding provided around some materials to avoid early wear and tear
- Corrosion limited warranty provided
- Lifetime warranty also is given
- Requires three people to install the backboard which is heavy; two people to hold it up while the third person screws it into place securely
- Have every part and gear needed before pouring the concrete
Lifetime 71525 Height Adjustable In-Ground Basketball System
The Lifetime 71525 Height Adjustable In Ground Basketball System is a good size one with a 54-inch backboard. The backboard is made from polycarbonate (Makrolon) which is stated as being shatterproof.
The backboard has a steel frame around it and is molded, so it should stand the test of time. The rim is also made from steel (5/8th inch) has two layers of springs to provide support for active dunking of the ball without causing any damage. The net beneath is nylon but intended to handle all types of weather year-round.
The height adjustments for this in-ground system is between 7.5-feet and 10-feet, so it’s not possible to adjust it without standing on a chair or a ladder. Most likely it’ll require adults to make the adjustment rather than teenagers.
The steel pole is 3.5-inches in diameter and comes in three parts and has a powder coating to protect it from the weather. It goes right into the poured cement and can be expected to last at least five years.
The product is a good one for the cost. The polycarbonate backboard is good enough for most players who are looking for a system that won’t fall down when you shoot too hard for the hoop or try to dunk the ball. Strong materials used throughout, though the backboard feels a bit too flimsy but seem to hold up regardless.
- 54-inch polycarbonate clear backboard
- Steel pole in three sections with the first part going into poured concrete
- Adjustable pole from 7.5-feet to 10-feet
- Steel ring and double-compression spring system for dunking
- Tough nylon net
- Parts protected from bad weather
- 5-year warranty
- Backboard being polyurethane feels less solid and somewhat flimsy when hit hard with the ball
- Not as height adjustable as the first product reviewed
- Installation requires the first part of the pole to be set in concrete and left to sit for a day before installing the rest of the equipment
- Needs at least two people to install the rest of the poles and backboard
- Sometimes parts are missing from the box
Pro Dunk Silver In-ground Adjustable Basketball Goal Hoop
The Pro Dunk Silver In-ground Adjustable Basketball Goal Hoop is a slightly junior version of the larger Pro Dunk Platinum reviewed earlier.
The product has a 54-inch backboard that’s made of strengthened glass that is half an inch thick. It protects from scratches better than acrylic or other materials. The basketball pole uses dependable 7-gauge steel. It’s 5-inches, built in a single piece and goes right into the ground. It’s well balanced as well, and there’s a base for it too, so it looks more attractive once installed than it would otherwise.
The height of the hoop is adjustable from 5-feet to 10-feet which makes it ideal for smaller children to use and parents to adjust higher as they grow up. The height is so low at the lowest setting that it literally overhangs the driveway when installing to the side of it.
The board and the stand don’t wobble during use when installing correctly. It is solid and has the strength to last. There’s also some padding for the pole, backboard, and gusset to ensure the hardware stays firmly in place and doesn’t work itself loose during gameplay either.
The steel is protected with the same Rust Armor zinc system that is present on the large adjustable basketball hoop reviewed first. The protection covers the metal areas and ensures they do not rust early into their useful life.
The product comes with a limited liability warranty that lasts a lifetime.
- 54-inch backboard (toughened glass) that’s see-thru
- Glass backboard doesn’t reverberate
- Thick steel pole with thickness and strength, plus a base
- Height adjustable from 5-feet to 10-feet
- Padding protection to stop parts wearing against each other and to take the impact of the ball
- Rust Armor Zinc protective coating on steel parts to handle the weather better
- Extended warranty covering corrosion
- When installed, can have protruding screws
- Check metal for any corrosion
Lifetime 1269 Pro Court Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System
The Lifetime 1269 Pro Court Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System is quite a bit smaller. It has a 44-inch backboard, but this is because the portable system is free-standing and can be moved around (it’s not in the ground). Therefore, a wider, heavier backboard would create stability issues which is one of the trade-offs for the flexibility.
The backboard is made from high-density polyurethane, intended to be shatterproof, and is both see-through and highly colorful too. It is supported by a steel pole that comes in three parts, is telescoping and adjusts from 7.5-feet up to 10-feet tall.
The basketball rim has a 2.75-inch diameter and is made from steel. The nylon net should hold up in bad weather too. The curved top base can store 27-gallons to create stability and can move around.
- 44-inch backboard that’s strong, clear and has screen printing
- 3-part steel pole with telescoping to adjust height from 7.5-feet up to 10-feet (adjust in 6-inch movements with special tools)
- Black basketball rum with welded hooks made from steel
- Durable nylon net
- Shatterproof backboard
- Powder coated materials to prevent rust
- Several cases where product boxes were missing essential parts; QC department is not doing its job
Lifetime 1529 Courtside Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System
The Lifetime 1529 Courtside Height-Adjustable Portable Basketball System has a50-inch backboard using a blend of materials to make it shatterproof. While the board is not as wide a regulation, this is a portable system, not one that goes into the ground.
The steel pole that goes into the portable base is made from hammertone for improved durability. It adjusts from 8-feet to 10-feet which is the most limited adjustment possible in the five products under review, but only just slightly less than the 7.5-feet adjustment possible with the previous portable basketball product.
The steel hoop has welded hooks for greater strength and a quality nylon net that should be perfectly sufficient. The double-compression spring system for the ring provides bounce back for the ring too.
There’s a portable base that accepts both sand or water and holds 27-gallons of it for greater stability during use.
- 50-inch polycarbonate backboard
- Adjust height pole from 8-feet to 10-feet
- Portable base that holds 27-gallons of sand or water
- Dual spring system to bounce the ring back into place
- Shatterproof backboard design
- Sometimes the wrong poles are included in the box that doesn’t telescope properly and is unusable. Customer Service can help out with that.
When looking for an adjustable basketball hoop, first you must decide whether you want an in-ground system or a portable one. Sometimes these are reviewed together and other times separately. In this case, we’ve included a few of both types because all these products have adjustable height options (the in-ground models are far more adjustable).
The size of the backboard is the next hurdle; again in-ground models support larger, heavier backboards made of glass. However, when choosing a portable basketball hoop, there are compromises to be made with materials. The stronger materials tend to come with the far more expensive in-ground systems where the last thing you want to do is install the pole in cement and then have it break on you! You have to decide what type of system you want, and then it makes the selection process much easier from there.
Best In ground basketball Hoop
Playing a game of hoops is a great way to pass the time. It tends to get the kids from around the neighborhood off the street which is a good thing for their own safety too. We all spend too many hours glued to our smartphones or TV at home; it’s useful to have a fun activity to do outdoors on good weather days that provides some exercise and group enjoyment too.
For adults and families, an in-ground basketball hoop is an effective way to get everyone outdoors together to try to learn to dribble up to the hoop and dunk the ball. Parents can lift their little ones off the ground to assist them and father can go up against his teenage son to see who’s best.
This article looks at a particular type of basketball hoop used outdoors, the in-ground type, which is planted cement and then usually secured with a solid base (we describe how to install one at the end of this article). So, let’s now look at some reviews of the better models in this category to see which one might be suitable for your front yard, back yard or local sports center court.
Top 5 Inground Basketball Hoop Reviews
Pro Dunk Diamond: Ultimate Adjustable In-Ground Basketball Goal
The Pro Dunk Diamond Ultimate Adjustable In-Ground Basketball Goal System is a comprehensive solution for homes with large outdoor areas, professional outdoor arenas, playgrounds, parks and other locations that are substantial enough to benefit from it.
The backboard is the full regulation 72-inches wide. It’s made from strengthened glass and is half an inch thick to prevent from shattering the backboard with a hard hit. It’s also see-through which is more attractive than non-transparent backboards.
The pole measures 12 by 8 inches and stands upright, but has a metal arm that reaches out to get to a good height. The height is adjustable from 6 feet up to 10 feet and hangs over the ground, so it’s possible to install the pole into the ground but have the board overhanging concrete or another surface suitable for a ball game.
The stainless steel used is coated with zinc that’s been galvanized to provide a protective Rust Armor shield that Pro Dunk provides with many of their similar, smaller basketball hoops.
There is also padding for the pole and backboard that’s an inch thick to soften the shaking from high-impact shots to the hoop to keep the noise factor down and prevent a part from shaking loose over time.
The warranty is a lifetime limited one that covers all the usual things.
- 72-inch regulation strengthened glass backboard
- Adjustable height from 6 feet to 10 feet
- Professional basketball hoop for use at home, in a gym, sports stadium and elsewhere
- Hoop overhangs a playing area and installs into the ground next to it
- Padding provides one inch of protection for the background and pole to mitigate shakes and shudders
- Dunking is no problem!
- Hoop overhangs by 5 feet
- Made from stainless steel with Zinc protective coating for rust protection
- Warranty for a lifetime with limited cover, including broken backboard replacement
- Will need some help to get this installed; heavy!
Silverback 54” In-Ground Basketball System with Tempered Glass Backboard
The Silverback 54” In-Ground Basketball System with Tempered Glass Backboard is a product with some good features.The backboard isn’t regulation size, but it 54-inches wide and 33-inches deep which is a good size for most people. It is made from strengthened glass that’s 5mm thick. The metal frame surround gives it some adding rigidity too to avoid it breaking from a hard shot.
The height of the basketball hoop is adjustable from 7.5 feet to 10 feet, which isn’t as adjustable as the Pro Dunk model above but is within normal parameters for most basketball hoops, so we’re not disappointed. The ASTM standards for safety are observed with the height adjustment process to avoid difficulties or accidents. An actuator crank at the back of the pole is used to start and control the height adjustment process.
The backboard and parts of the pole have added padding to soften the impact if a player flies into the backboard while making a shot or hits the pole accidentally. The rim is a breakaway variety ideal for dunking while avoiding the shooter getting injured by the steel metal ring.
The stainless-steel pole is broken into two parts making it easier to put together. There’s a protective powder coating made by respected DuPont to avoid rust damage from the outside weather. The secondary protection includes a zinc layer the Pro Dunk model reviewed above does. There’s added paint at the bottom of the pole to protect against corrosion that’s also made by DuPont.
The pole goes straight into the ground and has the extra paint protection to handle the damp earth below.There’s a multi-year limited warranty that comes with this model.
- 54-inch glass backboard
- Breakaway rim to avoid injury
- Padded pole and backboard for safety
- Adjustable height from 7.5 feet to 10 feet
- Anti-corrosion rust protecting paint from DuPont
- Second layer of protection from DuPont for the part of the pole that sinks into the earth or concrete
- 4-inch by 4-inch square pole made from steel
- Hoop overhangs by 2 feet
- Multi-year limited warranty
- Anchor kit not always provided
Spalding NBA In-Ground Basketball System – 60″ Aluminum Trim Glass Backboard
The Spalding NBA In-Ground Basketball System comes with a 60-inch backboard (34-inches height) which isn’t quite the regulation size, but it comes closer than some other products manage to do. It uses aluminum around the edge of the glass backboard (with a NBA logo in the bottom-left corner) to support the glass that’s 0.25-inches thick for durability.
The height adjustment uses Spalding’s U-Turn system that offers adjustment from 7.5 feet to 10 feet just like the previously reviewed model. It’s fairly easy to make the adjustment using a lift handle that’s also removable to avoid accidental adjustments by children.
The square-shaped pole is made from two pieces of steel that fit together. There’s a convenient anchor process with a sleeve that makes installation a bit easier than it would otherwise be. The glass backboard stands two feet away from the pole.
The breakaway rim from Pro-Image makes it safer to dunk the ball and not get injured in the process.
- 60-inch wide glass backboard adorned with the NBA logo
- Two-part 4×4-inch steel pole with anchor system for easier installation
- Backboard sits 2 feet out from the pole for play beneath it
- Breakaway Pro Image rim from Spalding for safer dunking
- U-Turn height adjustment with a lever (removable) from 7.5 feet to 10-feet
- Backboard brackets could be stronger to hold the backboard up
- Not as stable as one might expect even when using enough cement
Lifetime 71799 Height Adjustable In Ground Basketball System
The Lifetime 71799 Height Adjustable In Ground Basketball System is a less expensive basketball system for people who don’t wish to spend four-figures or high three-figures on a system for their front yard.
The model comes with a 50-inch Makrolon polycarbonate backboard that’s expected to be shatterproof. It has a UV protective coating to avoid colors fading from the sunlight. The polycarbonate is less fragile that acrylic would have been.
The Slam-It rim is designed for dunking and will bounce back into position afterward with its dual-protection spring system which protects the player. The nylon net is durable and hooks onto steel hooks that are welded on for rigidity.
Height adjustments are possible with the pole that allows for 0.6-inch height adjustments from 7.5 feet to 10 feet.
All the metal is covered with a powder coating to ward off rust.
There a Lifetime cement sleeve that’s usually purchasable separately and this required greasing up if you plan on removing the pole at a later time (the sleeve will stay in the ground with the cement).
A five-year warranty is provided.
- 50-inch wide Makrolon polycarbonate backboard
- Rust protective powder coated metal parts
- Height adjustable from 7.5 feet to 10 feet
- UV coating on the backboard to protect from the sun
- Slam It rim for effective dunking and spring back into place
- 5-year warranty
- Hard to install
- Cement needs between 3-7 days to become rock solid before using the basketball hoop
Goalrilla GS54 Basketball Hoop
The Goalrilla GS54 Basketball Hoop is an interesting product that has a square pole and base that literally bolts into the ground using four bolts. This provides for the possibility of simply unbolting it and then removing it when moving to a new house, and refitting it later.
The 54-inch backboard is a glass one that provides good performance. It is clear and see-through, so you can see parts of the frame behind it. The glass is tempered to add 10 times the usual strength to avoid breaking from a hard shot at the hoop.
The height of this model runs from 7.5 feet to 10 feet and is adjustable using a crank actuator which is a common way to affect height changes on other models under review in this guide.
The steel pole has a powder coating on it to help it stay strong and avoid collecting rust over time.
The red hoop is a breakaway one from Pro Style that provides some flex to it when taking a hard shot or when attempting to dunk the ball and putting your full weight on it. The hoop comes out from the pole by 2.5 feet which is more generous than most models here.There is a limited warranty that covers a lifetime of use.
- Steel in ground basketball hoop with a 54-inch backboard
- Tempered 10X stronger glass used for the backboard
- UV coating over the backboard to avoid color fading
- Breakaway rim for dunking without breaking
- Durable nylon netting
- Height adjustable using a crank actuator from 7.5 feet to 10 feet
- Square steel pole that gets bolted into the concrete plate
- Powder coating on the steel parts to prevent rust
- Can unbolt the pole from the plate and relocate
- Customer Service from the brand isn’t fabulous when having difficulties
How to install in-ground basketball hoop?
Installing an in-ground basketball hoop is something that you don’t want to do more than once if you can avoid it. Some people choose to hire in a handyperson or a builder to prepare for it.
The first step is to call 811 or other offices responsible for the utilities in the neighborhood to check whether digging a hole is going to hit any important lines buried in the ground which will knock out essential services.
Once you’ve checked that you’re all clear from a local utility standpoint, you need to check if there’s any restriction from your housing association or other parties as to what can be installed in your front yard (or backyard for that matter). Something that might be considered obstruction or blocking the view may contravene a rule and have to come out post-purchase and post-installation, so it’s best the verify that you’re good to go ahead.
It also never hurts to notify both your neighbors about your plans, so they know when they’ll be some work going on outside and can plan around it. They also can raise any meaningful objections at that time and not feel slighted.
Next, if you’re doing it yourself, you’ll need to pull together the tools that you’ll require. This includes items like some nails and a hammer, a wheelbarrow, a post hole digger would certainly be essential, a shovel, some stakes, a measuring tape, a level checker to ensure the backboard is level with the ground, and enough concrete mix (with a place to mix it).
Consider the measurements that you’ll need for clearance to install the hoop and to have enough space to play too. Make sure to follow the instructions from the manufacturer clearly and fully as each model will have different information provided in many cases. For instance, getting the right cement consistency is important otherwise it won’t be strong enough to hold the pole and heavy backboard in place.
Dig a hole deep enough for the length of the pole that will go into the ground. As different models have different pole lengths, check the instructions clearly before proceeding. The most common depth is 24-inches, but it does vary. Once the concrete is filled inside the hole, the pole can be inserted. Bear in mind, that shortly after the pole is inserted, it will set and they cannot be removed at all.
Some in-ground basketball hoops come with an anchor kit. Sometimes these setups require a 48-inch depth; it all depends on the make and model. The number of bags of cement and the pounds of ready cement to pour depends entirely on the instructions and shouldn’t be bought or prepared until this is determined correctly. The cement can be prepared inside the wheelbarrow and then shoveled inside the hole in the ground at the appropriate time.
Cement takes 24-72 hours to set fully. Follow the instructions completely here because otherwise, you could have a backboard falling over and breaking, possibly on top of a player. If the cement requires 3 days to be 100% secure, give it the full three days with no corner cutting.
An in-ground basketball hoop provides a better dunking experience for players. It is adjustable in height in many cases and provides a good degree of overhang for a court. The higher-priced models come with greater warranty coverage for the glass backboard (not polycarbonate ones). While the rust protective coating is consistently applied to all products reviewed, not every coating is great. And bank on needing a handful of strong guys to help get the basketball hoop installed properly.